The Barney House is located at 58 Spring Street, on the northeast corner of Spring and Touro streets. Benjamin Barney sold the house and lot to Jacob Barney in 1730; therefore the house must have been constructed prior to 1730. Ezra Stiles map of Newport (1758) shows a two-story house there. As of 1952, the house had been raised and a restaurant/pub was located on the new ground floor. In 2008, the house was lowered to its original level during the renovation sponsored by Ambassador John L. Loeb, Jr.
“Barney House,” Colonial Jewish Newport, accessed October 16, 2018, https://aojd.omeka.net/items/show/31.