Browse Items (29 total)

Rimorim---Set-2.jpg
These rimonim are the work of colonial silversmith Myer Myers.
During restoration in 2005-06, the tiny ‘cup’ finials have been correctly positioned.However, note the small top detail; Newmans Ltd. was not able to determine whether the higher…

TouroSynagoguePostCard.jpg
Dedicated on the first day of Channukah in 1763, completed in 1768, this building is an exquisite example of 18-century Palladian architecture designed by Peter Harrison, America's first architect. The Reverend Ezra Stiles (November 29, 1727 – May…

Rimonim-Set-1.jpg
During the 2005-06 renovation, All parts are assembled and polished. The bells were coordinated and attached; dents in the pierced forms were removed. The duplicated Magen David and sphere are in place.

MainChandlier_Newman_TSInterior.jpg
"The center [main] one, a twelve branched candelabra, was a gift Qf Jacob Pollock. in 1769. An unusual feature of this candelabra is what appears to be four monks heads which can be dearly seen in the center stem." [Rabbi Lewis, pg. 284] Perhaps the…

Six-Light-Bronze-Chandeliers.jpg
Pair of engraved brass six-light brass chandeliers, first restored in 1959 using large drip pans, which are out of character with the classical style of the objects. The drip pans were not reinstalled in the 2005-06restoration. The engravings,…

NerTamid-Newman-TSInterior.jpg
"The Ner Tamid, the eternal light,was the gift of Samuel Judah of New York in 1765. There is a fascinating story about this Ner Tamid. It used to be fed with oil. The early settlers used to replenish it with oil when the oil evaporated, and when the…

Eight-Light-Chandelier.jpg
This set is a variation on the design of the 6-light pair at the front of the sanctuary. Note the similar arms and similar but differently placed motifs on the core. Similar to the 6-light set, the large drip pans were added in the restoration of the…

Chanukkia-Brass-and-Gilt-Metal.jpg
The heavily damaged Chanukkiah was restored by Newmans, Ltd. in 2005-2006. Its restoration required complete disassembly, reforming af all the arms and parts, creating internal structures for the central stem, reinforcing the feet invisibly from…

Brass-Memorial-Candlestick.jpg
The Memorial Candlestick was originally on the eastern balustrade of the Bimah. It was formerly used for lighting memorial candles for deceased members of the congregation on the anniversary of their death [yartzeit]. Missing until the 1960s…

Six-Tall-Brass-Candlesticks.jpg
These are good examples of the quality which can be achieved in casting decorative objects. Each candlestick is composed of fourteen parts which fit together like a precision puzzle. The structural issues we dealt with were only minor – refitting…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2